Friday 5 September 2008

Council Recruits Vigilantes aged 8

My attention was caught by this item of news today. I would love to know what my readers think about it, so please post a comment without delay.

Two thoughts spring to mind for me. The first is that although I deplore the indiscriminate scattering of litter, as does any right thinking citizen, the recruitment of very young informers seems a highly dubious and dangerous move. It is however no surprise and seems to me entirely typical of life in the nanny state that is the modern UK. One is reminded strongly (yet again) of a similar practice by the fictitious (but oh so near) government in the novel 1984 by George Orwell. And yes I know I keep mentioning that book, but it really is quite astonishing how prophetic it is turning out to be.

How long, one asks, before these pint-sized vigilantes start accusing us of crimespeak or crimethink?

The second thought is that it seems perfectly plain to me that, in allowing themselves to be recruited for the purpose of spotting people who are breaking the law, these children may well be putting themselves at risk. One assumes that their surveillance will be conducted in their local area, where it is entirely possible that they might be spying on wrong-doers who know them and who know where their homes are. It seems that reprisals would be a likely outcome. Children as young as 8 cannot be expected to be able to gauge when the situation is dangerous, nor to take appropriate measures to disguise their activity.

And anyway, what in heaven's name are these children doing out and about on the street without their parents?

This is a crackpot scheme, intrusive and dangerous. It should be shelved at once.

Or am I perhaps the only person who feels that way about it? Comments please? (By the way, if you're reading this in America, you are still entitled to have an opinion about it, so I would welcome your comments as well.) Sphere: Related Content

No comments: